Thursday, July 15, 2010

Waning Sunflower Days


Recall how lovely the golden sunflowers were..........welcoming me back from Africa last month?  These tall plants grew from seed dropped from the feeder and now their huge seed filled flower heads are a veritable feast for our omnipresent squirrels.


They pick the strongest stemmed plants and then perform circus acts to climb, hang upside down by their hind legs......................

..............and even seat themelves comfortably on a big flower and quietly much away on the fresh black seeds for up to ten minutes at a time.

When the squirrels take a break, in fly this pair of goldfinches, arguing over who gets to nibble next...........

..........looks like the female won that one!

However, our woodpecker sticks to the feeder, digging through the seeds for his favorite, peanuts.................no sunflower sitting for him.

Images (except the first one taken in June) from my window yesterday........slightly blurred but you get the picture.  This ongoing oppressive Summer heat means blooms are almost over.

17 comments:

  1. How wonderful to be able to sit & watch this scene and all because of some bird seed that went astray.
    The same thing happened in my garden resulting in bright red poppies growing through the quince & rose bushes.
    Ain't Mother Nature grand?
    Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  2. What wonderful photos Mary! I planted short sunflower seeds and tall ones in my cutting garden. The short ones are still blooming, though a few have faded. The tall ones in the back row of the garden have not yet opened. I wonder if our squirrels will attempt acrobatics on ours?
    Hugs,
    Penny

    ReplyDelete
  3. As aggrivating at squirrles can be, they do give us alot of entertainment! So fun to watch all the wildlife around us! Hope you are having a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, what great pictures! I can't believe the ones with the squirrels. They usually run away when I open the door to get pics. I have a feeder just like yours, but have never had a woodpecker to stop by. I guess I need to add some peanuts, right? Have a wonderful day! Carla

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great photos. Side note: I was looking through an old magazine yesterday and what did I see but the Red Chair Antique store you recently visited. How fun to know you had been there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mary, what amazing shots! Squirrels aren't not favored around here these days, but it's fun to see the antics of these on the sunflowers. :-)
    Hope you are enjoying the summer. ~ Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful photos - thank you for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great photos Mary!! Wow! That squirrel is amazing...the things they will do! We get finches every now and then around here, they are so pretty. It's sad to see things drooping and ending with this heat, my poor hydrangeas!
    Well, Take Care!
    Ulrike

    ReplyDelete
  9. What fun to have the beautiful flowers now be food fro all the animals!
    Hugs, Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  10. That squirrel hanging upside down is so funny. I don't think there are any here in my area.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow. The most wonderful pictures! So much going on, right outside one's window.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love these pictures Mary! You really captured that acrobatic squirrel!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What delightful photos...especially those squirrels!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wonderful photos of the birds and squirrels. The squirrels are amazing critters. They can hang all kinds of ways. Birdwatching is one of my favorite things to do, very relaxing. Great photos!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You have one of the most creative blogs! I truly enjoy browsing your photos. The nature ones are especially great. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

I would enjoy reading your comment - thanks so much for stopping by.