Monday, July 29, 2013

A porch, a book....a Summer's day.


Couch On The Porch, Cos Cob
Frederick Childe Hassam  
American Impressionist 
1859~1935

You may catch me here..........if not, walk through 
the garden, perhaps you'll find me cutting a bunch 
of something pretty, getting my hands dirty pulling 
the weeds, watering thirsty plants, checking the 
upcoming harvest of soon-to-be-ripe figs.

Childe Hassam's body of work is amazing. Although perhaps best known for his 'flag paintings', to me his Summer paintings, many of the New England shore and Isles of Shoals, close to where I lived for several years before coming south, are my favorites.
Here is a link to reproduction paintings available online - type Hassam in the search bar to see his work.

8 comments:

  1. *sigh*
    That looks just about perfect. After just such a weekend, it Heigh-ho and off to work I go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary, The painting is the perfect picture of how I have spent my summer vacation...well sort of. When I arrived at "soon-to-be-ripe-figs I had to laugh at loud. I have been watching the squirrels tote off my figs one by one. Last year we netted the tree, but were constantly trying to figure out how to rescue the occasional robber bird or squirrel. I do hope your figs survive...I have such fond memories. Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did just that today. A porch, a book and a view are all that I need. Beautiful inspiration Mary. I know you are glad to be home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful picture, I will explore more.
    Most of all I like what you are doing, reading on the porch or in the garden. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mary, your day sounds perfect! I'd like to slide right into that scene. I too am a fan of Hassam's work. Lovely post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a gorgeous painting! Sounds like you are home for a while and enjoying being there.

    ReplyDelete

I would enjoy reading your comment - thanks so much for stopping by.