Thursday, June 15, 2017

Frittata - the easy Italian egg dish . . . . . . . . .


The frittata is an Italian omelette. Unlike its soft and creamy French cousin, 
it is cooked more slowly than other eggy things, always over very low heat, and
 on both sides. 
This means that any additions to the basic mixture can be slightly larger giving this
 substantial dish a certain rusticity. Like an omelette, it can be filled with almost
 anything that takes your fancy.


With a lot of extra eggs on hand, plus a bowl of oven-roasted veggies waiting
 to be used up - eggplant, sliced small new potatoes, red onion, crimini and
 shitake mushrooms - I made this one a few nights back. 
It made 4 generous servings so for the two of us we had a hot meal with a salad, 
and extra for the following day at room temperature with ratatouille - which I make
 weekly now through the summer months when veggies are soooo good!



Here's my basic recipe for a frittata for 4 servings ~

6 large eggs
salt
freshly ground black pepper
a large handful of grated Parmesan or Gruyére cheese
2 oz of butter

Beat the eggs in a bowl with a fork for 20 seconds or so, along with the salt, pepper and cheese, until just mixed (longer will cause frittata to blow up and then fall into a heavy dense layer). Meanwhile add butter to a large skillet at least 10" in diameter, and when the butter froths add any additions, such as already roasted veggies. Tip in the egg mixture and immediately reduce heat to as low as your burner will go. Leave the eggs to cook gently for 15 minutes, or until the underneath is set ~ topside should still be a little runny.
Have a hot grill ready - I use my oven set on broil - place skillet under, about 6" from the heat (I wrap my silicone handle in tinfoil to protect it) for just 1-2 minutes to set - do not allow to brown.
Remove from oven, slide a palette knife under the frittata to loosen it and slide on to a warm plate. Cut into wedges and serve.


***********

I also added arugula dressed with just a little olive oil, sea salt and pepper, and some
 chopped fresh parsley from the garden.


Enjoy!

11 comments:

  1. When my husband was here to make them, this was our usual Sunday night dinner :)
    He was such a good cook .. I should have paid more attention ! I am going to try your recipe and see if I pass the test !

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks wonderful. Nothing healthier I think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We love frittatas. We make them about once a month for Sunday breakfast. Yours looks and sounds wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Mary, Love the ingredients of your frittata...must give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is beautiful Mary. We are like-minded this week. I made a cauliflower cake from Yotam Ottolenghi. I wonder if you have any of his cookbooks. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've learned a few tips here as frittatas are appraently how I make my eggs although I always thought they were omelettes, now I know! I use low heat too but I think I need to not add milk or water to them --just keep it to whisked eggs with the other ingredients. I always thought one adds milk! Ha.

    OK, done! finally. I have actually caught up and read all your posts...just in time for your next adventure! Thank you for filling us in on all the trip and ventures. I vicariously enjoyed it here very much.

    This begs the question though, dear Mary: if you had to chose one place as your favourite to visit (not including Devon for obvious emotional ties) what would it be? You've been to so many wonderful locales around the world.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks delicious and satisfying. So healthful, too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can almost smell it - wonderful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh!!! It looks just delicious! I would love this.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My late husband enjoyed making frittatas. Yours looks delicious. Isn't arugula wonderful? Dennis and I have a favorite restaurant in Hood River, Oregon that makes a scrumptious arugula, roasted beets and goat cheese salad. I've tried making it at home. Not a bad reproduction, if I do say so myself. xo

    ReplyDelete

I would enjoy reading your comment - thanks so much for stopping by.